Athlete Spotlight: Maria Petow
I was an avid runner for years. But, after suffering an injury that required a couple of surgeries, my doctor told me I should never run again and that I should find another source of exercise. That was pretty depressing! My brother told me I should look up CrossFit. It looked intimidating, but when I saw a coupon on Living Social for a one-month trial membership to Strongpoint CrossFit, I decided to give it a shot. After one workout, I knew I’d be around for a lot longer than a month. Since joining Strongpoint, I have seen and felt a major improvement in my strength and endurance. I have also lost 8 pounds and a few inches here and there. Thank you to Coach Ryan and the Strongpoint community for welcoming, motivating and challenging me every day to be the best I can be.
1. What is your favorite WOD? I love anything burpee! Burpee deadlifts, burpee box jumps, etc. Close second- legs- squats, lunges, and deadlifts.
2. What is your least favorite WOD? My least favorite exercises are cleaning windows and putting laundry away.
3. What motivates you to show up and perform day-after-day? Hmmm… my committee (Me, Myself and I) runs on a dictator platform and they won’t let me slack off. Seeing the difference in my strength, endurance and how my clothes fit are major motivators as well.
4. What negative thoughts hold you back from being your best? I wouldn’t say I have negative thoughts that hold me back; I would say it’s the aches and pains that hold me back.
5. What has been your most memorable moment at Strongpoint CrossFit? Completing the “Filthy Fifty” WOD just a few days before my 50th birthday is my most memorable moment.
6. What has been your least favorite moment at Strongpoint CrossFit? The least favorite moments were the first few workouts where I struggled to do pull ups using the green bands.
7. What is your favorite quote from Strongpoint CrossFit? I’m not sure what my favorite quote is. After the workouts, I am lucky I remember my name.
8.What do you want to accomplish with your training in the next year? I want to continue getting stronger so I can do legit pull ups, a muscle up and survive the Tough Mudder in May.
Coach’s Comments: Maria joined us during the summer of 2012 having purchased her original membership via the Living Social promotion that we ran in May. She initially told me that she was a trainer and sometimes training a trainer can be a little challenging due to the differences between the CrossFit method and more traditional training methods. However, Maria came into it with an open mind and proved to be very coachable! She has since become a mainstay and “motivator” during our 10:30 am classes. Maria was one of the top performers during the Whole Life Challenge and got great results because she was compliant with program recommendations. Her strength numbers have consistently gone up, her technique continues to improve, and despite cutting back on running; she won her age division in the Subaru Distance Classic 6K and placed second in her division at the Festival of Lights 5K. She has since referred in two of her children, Carli and Chris, and they are following right in her footsteps. Maria has high ambitions for competing in the CrossFit Open and eventually in the Southeast Regional. We are excited about continuing to work with her to achieve those goals!