September Spotlight Athlete: Jeanne Sapp
I was doing a lot of running during lunch and had a gym membership doing Zumba (yes Zumba) and spin class and was not seeing any results. I wanted to lose the excess weight and get toned. I knew I had to do something different, but did not know where to start. I saw an ad in Living Social for Strongpoint CrossFit. I never heard of CrossFit before so I did a little research and emailed Ryan for more information. I am quiet and shy so I was hesitant and did not want to try it alone. I mentioned it to my friend Liz and she stated that she heard about it before and also wanted to try it. I also mentioned it to Adrienne Romero who was already a member at Strongpoint CrossFit and she invited me to Bring-a-Friend Day. I was nervous and very intimidated especially when I was told I had to carry my partner down the street on my back or over my shoulders. I can’t remember the other workout but I knew my whole body was going to be sore. Even with being sore, I knew this was something I would continue to do. August 26, 2013 was my 1 year anniversary with Strongpoint CrossFit and I still look forward to workouts. I have lost all of my excess weight (I am at my high school weight!), went from a size 8 to size 4, toned all around (I actually have muscles LOL), my running (and I dislike running and am very slow) went from 12 minute miles to 10 minute miles, I am stronger (deadlift at 183 – who knew I was able to do this???) and have learned to eat right (via Whole Life Challenge nutrition challenge). As for the future, I want to continue to improve my fitness and health, do the things I have not been able to do like double unders and hand stand pushups, and maybe do a competition or two!
1. What is your favorite WOD? “Back squat, front squat, and push press.”
2. What is your least favorite WOD? “Double unders, RUNNING, and the Snatch.”
3. What motivates you to show up and perform day-after-day? “My overall results. I have lost over 20 lbs and am very well toned. I love it when I hit a PR – it means I am getting stronger. Knowing that I am more fit today and less stressed at 43 than when I was 23.”
4. What negative thoughts hold you back from being your best? “That I can’t do it! That I am too old or not strong enough.”
5. What has been your most memorable moment at Strongpoint CrossFit? “Finally climbing the ropes. It took me 8 months but I think I was afraid once I got up there, how was I going to get down?!”
6. What has been your least favorite moment at Strongpoint CrossFit? “I have to say I do not have a least favorite moment. I enjoy every single Strongpoint CrossFit session (awesome coaches and great CrossFitters).”
7. What is your favorite quote from Strongpoint CrossFit? “I have no strength left”-Jeanne. I know it’s my quote but it’s my favorite because that’s how I feel everyday when I do CrossFit, which is an awesome feeling!”
8. What do you want to accomplish with your training in the next year? “More PR’s, double unders and hand stand pushups.”
Coach’s Comments: Jeanne just hit her first year with us and her results have been truly exceptional! She is a perfect example of how clean eating, hard exercise, and carving out three hours a week to dedicate to your health can change your life. Jeanne initially struggled with her mobility, did not have a lot of strength, and looked like she was suffering during every workout. Her perseverance has paid off and the coaching staff has seen great improvements in all facets of her fitness. Perhaps most importantly, she clearly feels more confident about herself and in her abilities. She has since brought both of her children, Sydnei and Carson, into the gym and Sydnei’s boyfriend, Andrey, is a mainstay during our evening classes. It’s become a family affair! Jeanne has a great attitude, is very coachable, and it has been rewarding to work with her. We look forward to seeing her get those new PRs in the future!