Athlete Spotlight: Patti Brown
I have belonged to many gyms in the Jacksonville area and never could quite find one I wanted to stick with. In the summer of 2011, I had started doing boot camp classes and loved the intensity, but still did not stick with it. I was surfing the web one day for boot camp style workouts and CrossFit popped up. I started researching it and asked a co-worker if he had heard of it. He hadn’t, but was very interested. He checked out Hardnox and has been hooked ever since. He would come in week after week talking about the WOD’s and I was interested but still not quite sure; it seemed really hard and intense, but that is exactly what I was looking for. I have always liked the “leave it all at the gym” type of workouts. So I went to CrossFit.com to see where there were gyms in my area. I saw Strongpoint on the affiliate finder map and decided to stop by at lunch. I initially drove through the parking lot and didn’t stop. I was a little intimidated. I got out to Greenland and Phillips and said “what are you doing? You at least need to see what they have to say.” So I went back. I walked in and Ryan was teaching and participating in a WOD with Brian and Jesse. When he finished, he came over and explained the whole concept. I told him I would be back that Saturday for the community WOD. I almost didn’t go to that WOD, but somehow mustered up the willpower and showed up. That was the best thing I ever did.
My experience with CrossFit so far is the best thing I could have ever done. I have never added any strength training to my workouts and knew that I desperately needed it. CrossFit has shown me that you don’t need to spend an hour straight on the treadmill or stair climber. I love how it incorporates both strength and cardio into each WOD. My son (Stephen) started working out with me in the Spring and has done amazing! I wish I would have had an unlimited membership to CrossFit when I was 16, I would be a much different person now.
I am totally addicted to CrossFit and would like to eventually compete in some CrossFit competitions in the Masters divisions. Yes, I am approaching that age….
1. What is your favorite exercise or WOD? Favorite exercise is anything with Kettlebells. Favorite WOD, probably caveman day, but I absolutely love anything that leaves me gasping for breath (GFD) and drenched in sweat (DIS).
2. What is your least favorite exercise or WOD? I don’t have a least favorite WOD, I love them all. Least favorite exercise is running. I am horrible at it, but working on getting better. I am going to run the 5K in October so I better do something so I am not puking at the finish!
3. What motivates you to show up day after day? I actually love to workout, especially in the morning before I go to work. It puts me in a better mood. When I don’t work out in the mornings, I have co-workers ask me if I missed my workout that morning. They can actually see the difference in my mood.
4. What negative thoughts hold you back from being your best? I really don’t have negative thoughts; I am pretty much always a positive person. What holds me back is my eating. I give in too easily to stress and will eat whatever is at hand; chocolate, ice cream, junk…
5. What has been your most memorable moment at Strongpoint CrossFit? I have 2 memorable moments, 1. The first time I did a box jump on the 20″box. Jimmy had no doubt and brought me over to the box and said “just do one; you’ve got it in you”. The 2nd is when I climbed the rope for the first time. I seriously had tears in my eyes; I really thought it would be a very long time before I got up the rope. That day, I was half way up and a brief thought of giving up came through my head, but something told me to try to get one more, and then WOW, I was at the top before I realized it. One thing I learned from my rope climb is how much of a mental game is involved in accomplishing something. When I was at the top of the rope, my mind would not let me let go and touch the beam. I was completely at the top, but there was no way I was letting go with one hand to touch the beam…
6. What has been your least favorite moment at Strongpoint CrossFit ? I don’t think I have a least favorite moment, but I do hate it when I miss a WOD, especially if it is my job that gets in the way.
7. What is your favorite quote from Strongpoint CrossFit? ”That WOD sucked! What time tomorrow?”
8. What do you want to accomplish with your training in the next year? I would like to get as close as possible to doing the WODS Rx. It will take some time, but I am seeing improvements every week, both in the WODs and with my body. I am hoping to get control of my nutrition and not let stress have control over me.
Patti has been with us at Strongpoint since very early after the gym initially opened last September. She has been one of the most consistent and dedicated members of the gym since October of last year and has since recruited her son, Stephen (a.k.a. Ninja), into the fold. She routinely puts every ounce of effort she has into the workouts and was one of the first to commit to the Whole Life Challenge. Plus she climbed the rope for the first time in August and has been setting new PRs like crazy lately! We are very proud to name Patti as our Spotlight Athlete for September.